Diary: Corona Life - how are you?

I’ve seen this in a few other forums which I visit and I thought it would be a good idea to start it here. Let’s talk about us - our lives, how we feel, if we are doing ok, what we are doing. It makes the world a little less lonely when we are in these uncertain times.

Considering there’s a few people who still visit the forums occasionally it’s really nice to stay in touch and get updates on people’s lives and to check in on how we are all doing. Worst case it turns into a ForeverAPeon thread which I can delete later :joy:

6 Likes

And I’ll force myself to be brave and go first.

This corona period feels like a really wierd, surreal vacation. Kinda like one of those vacations that start off all fun for a few days but quickly turn into a pain in the butt and you just can’t wait to get back to “normal” again.

Sweden was one of the only countries that didn’t do a proper lockdown. They just relied on everyone to maintain social distancing and work from home if they could. Shops were still open, lots of people were still out in pubs, playgrounds…(still are!).

I personally decided to travel to the north of Sweden and stay with grandparents for a while. It’s been a couple of months now, and while it’s been lovely seeing them it’s still quite stressful because you still need to go out food shopping, get petrol etc. When staying with people so eldery you have to be extra cautious and not take any chances.

Fortunately it’s very remote where they live. I have to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest small food shop, which is literally one of two shops in “town”. The other one is one of the general stores like in the movies where they have a bit of everything :stuck_out_tongue: Soil for the garden, home improvement tools, the post office…it’s all combined.

From the house I can literally take an hour long walk down the road in either direction and not see a single person. There’s only about 30 (elderly) people that live in this area and the houses are quite spread out. It’s actually really scary if you think about it because if something happened you have to drive or walk for ages to get help.

But that is the downside - it’s realllly isolated here. And there’s tonnes of huge stinging wasps. And huge ants. And huge mosquitoes (I’m allergic to mosquitoes). So although I’m in a remote area with a lot of nature around, I’m pretty much housebound regardless :man_facepalming: And of course all the usual other responsibilities on top - work, childcare etc.

3 Likes

Feeling lonely, although my lovely GF makes everything so we can enjoy every minute together and just don’t panic, stress out because of the said period (I feel sorry for everyone who is really alone, this must be a hard time for them).

I have a hobby which turns out to be obsession now but I love bodybuilding and powerlifting and here in Poland gyms were closed due to the corona, luckily I had an empty garage with some equipment already in. I made sure to buy the rest of the equipment so I can workout at home. :slight_smile:

Other than that, it’s pretty normal, just avoiding contact with people and limiting food shopping and supplements as the prices went incredibly high. Also making sure to buy only clothes we really need which turns out to be a huge issue for my girlfriend…

Thanks for asking!

3 Likes

Hi YOPG! Great to hear from you, it’s been a while (on my end!).

I can totally relate to the loneliness and I’m sure most of the population can too. Urgh, I get sad just thinking about all the people who aren’t as fortunate and have no one :frowning: It makes me want to volunteer after corona ends as one of the people that go into a nursing home or institution and provide some company for people in there. It’s so little effort on my part but maybe makes a huge difference to them.

Fantastic news on the bodybuilding!! It’s good to hear you’ve got something to enjoy. I read somewhere that there will be two types of people after corona: the ones who spent their time getting fit, or the ones who spent their time getting fat. I, uh, unfortunately, fall into the latter :joy: :joy: It’s very hard to pass up on Grandma’s cookies. I do have an interchangeable weighted kettlebell at home, but I haven’t been using it - only as a doorstop. I get so annoyed having to move it around every time I clean the house :crazy_face:

It has been incredibly surprising how much stuff you buy online in general, and how much money I’ve saved by not buying very much over the last few months. I’ve started sorting out my possessions too and selling off the things which I just never use or don’t make me happy anymore. I find it satisfying to get rid of stuff and get some money for it! I am such a hoarder, I found like a gajillion things to sell in my basement :smiley: Maybe you could do a game with your girlfriend - she can buy new clothes from the money she earns buy sorting and selling stuff she doesn’t use :laughing:

2 Likes

Ah, I forget to mention we are also going to travel to Greece (Zakynthos) on July 10. The flight was booked before the corona as it was cheaper and now we can only go for it or delay it. We are afraid, scared and worried, but the epidemic can get even worse at anytime so we are going to risk it.

1 Like

I think in the UK they are opening up air travel again, so it must be safe to some extent…but be safe and wear a mask! Fingers crossed for you that it all goes smoothly and nothing happens.

If you aren’t already, check to see what requirements Greece and your country has for entering. On the UK site it says that travellers may need to fill out forms prior (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/greece/entry-requirements). Maybe you already know all this, I am just a worrier :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s our second flight ever, so it’s not trip on your own :smile: :sweat_smile:
Our email (actually mine) is bombarded with all the instructions, documents, requirements, and QR codes.

Thank you, ForeverAPeon! nice to see you back! :blush:

2 Likes

Haha, well better to be bombarded than underprepared!

1 Like

Started wearing a mask around January just in case, I think the stares and glares back then were worth it since I haven’t caught anything…
It’s a real shame though, where I live people aren’t respecting boundaries, (or the law, really) and there have been countless cases of the police being called to tell people to go home :/

I’ve been incredibly fortunate to be able to work from home, so my exposure to other human beings has been close to zero.
My biggest risk factor is probably the cardboard boxes from all these Amazon packages! I have definitely been overspending online now that I never eat out…

All my (embarrassingly sedentary) hobbies can be done indoors, so really my life hasn’t changed much.
I try to get at least some fresh air and exposure to the unnaturally hot sunshine on my balcony ;)

4 Likes

So nice to hear from you! It sounds like you’re holding up okay :slight_smile:

The mask thing was definitely a good move. It’s still not very common over here, I see a few people if I go out, but I would guess about 1 in 10 wear a mask rather than a greater majority. I guess I should start wearing one though, it’s apparently very fashionable. All the designer brands are making them with their logos and patterns :joy:

But the biggest question: WHAT’S IN THE BOX(es)?! :rofl:

1 Like

I wasn’t exactly modelling for the runway… image

Oh god where do I start…
Water, snacks, tea, a tea infuser, batteries, a new mouse, alcohol, some jigsaw puzzles, a new wifi card, popcorn… the list really goes on…

2 Likes

Ahahahaha, genuinely laughing when I read that. I read somewhere that a person started wearing a plaguedoctor mask to go out, but they were stopped by police because they were scaring everyone :joy: I’ve always wanted a plaguedoctor mask before they were “trendy”!

popcorn…

Are you the savoury kind or the sweet toffee kind? Choose your side wisely!

I’d kill for a modernised design with good sealing and replaceable filters…
And then I’d probably kill someone’s eye by accident on public transport haha

The best of both worlds in one easy to consume package…
Sweet and Salted ;P

1 Like

Diplomatic.

But now you got me Googlin’ for modern mask designs.

1 Like

Hi! This is a great idea, and thank you for sharing, @ForeverAPeon! I’m glad to hear you are dealing somewhat well with this whole crisis!

I suppose I can consider myself lucky, because over here in Germany the governemnt was rather on top of this whole pandemic and handled it as germans usually do: with bureaucracy and efficiency.
Furthermore, last year I managed to find myself a job that allowed for remote work by default, so when the crisis hit nothing much changed for me, except that I couldn’t go out to the movies or go swimming (my excercise of choice). The worst thing that happened to me was that for ca. 3 weeks I couldn’t buy regular toilet paper and had to resort to wipes. :joy:

That’s the stupidest thing about this whole Pandemic, btw.: how people bought out all of the toilet paper or paper towels from the stores. Like, seriously stupid. WTF, people? :rofl:

I gotta say, the consequences this pandemic, so far, has done nothing but improve my life. I’ve never eaten better, I’ve never been healthier, it’s pretty great!

Ok, one thing that has taken a toll is my hobby, which is theatre-acting. I’ve started theatre-acting courses a few years ago and had my first big show in March this year, one week before the pandemic hit us and everything closed down.

So when my co-actors and I walked off stage to thunderous applause (we put on a great show, gotta admit) we were also the last ensemble to have performed at all in my theatre.
Things are slowly back to normal now and I’m working with a new ensemble on a new production to perform in January next year. Things are a bit weird because we have to wear these face-shields when rehearsing, but other than that it’s business as usual again and hopefully we’ll be able to get through a possible second wave.

Hope everyone else is doing good! Stay positive, everyone! You’ll get through this! Don’t lose hope. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Howdy folks glad you are all keeping well. I am doing okay, I am in Melbourne - Australia and pretty much in the city but it has low cases somehow. Its been hard to keep this thing under control at the moment in Victoria all other states and territories are doing fine though. It’s scary and has become very taxing on the soul but I am hoping we will get through this just gotta be diligent is all. I’m doing my best not to ramble on too much here, just glad to hear from you all! Stay safe, wash your hands, 2021 is just on the horizon! :white_heart:

3 Likes

Hi @Citizen_Graves !!

last year I managed to find myself a job that allowed for remote work by default

You hit the jackpot here, that’s a pretty sweet gig. It’s going to be interesting to see how all the companies in general dealt with the working from home situation if there’s ever a mass review. In Sweden we were kinda okay I think.

Sweden has a well developed internet infrastructure. Everyone has high speed broadband, so there were no problems in that respect. The working culture was already quite flexible too, with a lot of people already having flexi hours or working from home before corona. So really not much changed apart from the social aspect.

I feared for the UK, because from my experience the infrastructure still isn’t quite there and they seem very outdated with having services online. I was literally blown away when I moved to Sweden because it seemed so advanced in comparison.

3 weeks I couldn’t buy regular toilet paper and had to resort to wipes. :joy:

You’ve reverted to being a baby again :joy: But serious question: did you go back to normal toilet paper, or was your way of life changed forever? :smiley:

I’ve never eaten better, I’ve never been healthier, it’s pretty great!

That’s really great to hear. I honestly hope the majority of people feel like that.

I’ve started theatre-acting courses a few years ago and had my first big show in March this year, one week before the pandemic hit us and everything closed down.

I’d be really interested to hear a little bit more about this. How (or why) did you get into this? As an introvert, I can’t think of anything scarier than going up in front of people and having them watch. I’m amazed and awed by anyone who has to go up in front of any sized group of people. I fail at just giving updates at Arrowhead in front of friends in the studio. I just go red and high pitched :flushed:

2 Likes

Hi @Jaunty :fist_left:

You are very welcome to ramble on, that’s what this blog is for! I wanted to ask you if Australia has seen many more wild fires this year. It was so awful last year and it would be terrible to be dealing with that and corona :pensive:

I think I saw on the news recently Australia has recently re-shut down some cities again? Or did I mishear?

PS. the emoji is meant to be a fist bump, but I realize it looks like I’m giving you a punch to your metaphorical face :joy:

3 Likes

:fist_right:
We are in winter now and a lot was burnt to say the least so there’s not much chance of recurring fires until next summer. The bushfires + covid is a double hit to our economy etc.
You heard correctly my city (Melbourne) has just been put into lockdown again for another 6 weeks at least but all others seem fine.

3 Likes

[…] Sweden has a well developed internet infrastructure. Everyone has high speed broadband, so there were no problems in that respect. The working culture was already quite flexible too, with a lot of people already having flexi hours or working from home before corona. So really not much changed apart from the social aspect.

I feared for the UK, because from my experience the infrastructure still isn’t quite there and they seem very outdated with having services online. I was literally blown away when I moved to Sweden because it seemed so advanced in comparison.[…]

I think Germany is not far behind the UK in regards to high-speed internet signal coverage. Compared to some of the other countries in the EU, our coverage is pretty bad.

I am lucky because I live in one of the larger cities (Cologne) and high-speed broadband network is readily available, but just 20 - 30 km’s out and it gets really bad.

You’ve reverted to being a baby again :joy: But serious question: did you go back to normal toilet paper, or was your way of life changed forever? :smiley:

Honestly? My life had already been changed forever many, many years ago. The regular toilet paper rolls… well… I honestly only buy them for guests. :joy:

I’d be really interested to hear a little bit more about this. How (or why) did you get into this? As an introvert, I can’t think of anything scarier than going up in front of people and having them watch. I’m amazed and awed by anyone who has to go up in front of any sized group of people.

My therapist recommended it to me some years ago, but I only found the strength to follow that advice ca. 3 years ago, when I just decided to book acting classes at one of the local theatres.
It turns out that this is what I always wanted to do with my life, except that I didn’t listen to myself for decades before coming to that conclussion. I’ve kind of drifted in the same hemisphere for years, though. I used to work on-set assistant jobs in TV & Media productions and I used to write for and co-host a local radio programme.

I fail at just giving updates at Arrowhead in front of friends in the studio. I just go red and high pitched :flushed:

Public speaking is a skill and anyone can learn it. I know this type of “Just Do It” advice is kind of cliché, but really you need not much more than reading any random basic speech skill advice and practice only a few minutes every day.

It also helps if you imagine your audience naked, especially if they include family and friends.
You’re not weird they are weird.

We are in winter now and a lot was burnt to say the least so there’s not much chance of recurring fires until next summer. The bushfires + covid is a double hit to our economy etc.
You heard correctly my city (Melbourne) has just been put into lockdown again for another 6 weeks at least but all others seem fine.

I do hope you guys make it through. Good luck and stay healthy!

2 Likes