Digital Preservation of OldSkool Games

offtopic

I thought this would be interesting to post in our forums in case you missed it on our Facebook page.

Here’s a bunch of games @DiverMoogle brought into the studio for us to look at and play, before being shipped off to the USA to be digitally preserved as part of gaming history.

The process of doing this is quite complicated but involves fuming nitrite acid and a metallurgical microscope. I expect @DiverMoogle can answer more detailed if anyone wants to know about this particular part(!).

Some of the games were contributed by other people who are also passionate about the preservation of gaming history, but the majority were purchased on an auction site. The purchases are nearly all made from donated funds by others interested in helping with the preservation effort but who didn’t have any games themselves to send.

Quite cool, right? Have you guys played any of these?

I didn’t have a Game and Watch, but I did have those cheap LCD knockoff games!
Programmed really poorly and super hard to see what was going on, and the manual was always some kind of broken English.
Good memories.

I just barely remember playing Donkey Kong. I have fond memeories of going to the arcade with my dad. Tamagotchi was the very first of the survival games! How far we have come!

Also Ian writes good stuff: http://bogost.com/writing/wii_cant_go_on_wiill_go_on/

THOSE aren’t Old School – the LED Mattel Electronics Electronic Football and Battlestar Galactica that I got up at 4 a.m. on Xmas Day 1978 to play were Old School. :sunglasses: Wish I knew what happened to mine. :frowning:

Yes, back then, we had to use your imagination. :nerd_face: All you young punks are spoiled today. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is such a cool thing he’s doing! My first G&W was Oil Panic, and me and my bro collect them still :smiley: