DLC/Game Update Suggestion: Black Ops/Undercover inside ship missions

Hey, there.

Did you guys ever wonder what happens in space while Helldivers on planets fight their way through aliens and stuff? I keep imagining gigantic battles between ships from both races. I guess, while Helldivers fight to neutralize and secure objectives that will give them great advantage in the war, the real war is fought in space.

With that in mind, I kept thinking about stealth missions that you do inside enemy ship.

Main asppects about these missions:

• Precise, Stealth and fast paced
  • Alerting enemy is a BIGGER mistake than doing it in the main game
  • Dead Helldivers can only reappear in certain points of the ship
  • Ships have narrow spaces and poor field vision
  • Stratagems are replaced by Op Tools, quicker to user, with less typing
  • You don’t know what waits for you in the next corner

Soldiers will be working in the dark with almost no help from Superearth Command Center. They have to complete the objectives and escape trough the escape pods.

Objectives can be:

• Steal top secret war changing data
  • Assassinate VIP
  • Change weapons targeting system
  • Stop ship engines

The tactical gameplay still remain, but more stealthy than the main game.

Completing these missions will generate a special bonus in the galactic war. It could be something like “You gain double influence points” for instance.

Anyway I’m just throwing some ideas and I’m not going to extend myself more than the necessary. Big fan of the game here, guys. Keep doing an amazing job and sorry for any bad english.

Democracy is life itself

Well, I would sound ALL the alarms!

A little out of place for Helldivers, would work better in some sort of a FPS spinoff.

And that’s not “Helldivers” if you get what I mean.

Again: great idea, but no chance it gets through.

Yea, I know what you mean. They aren’t actually diving anyware, it should be a whole new division for those kind of mission.

If they make a spin off, I just hope they dont follow the FPS road. Too games in this genre, and I think the humouristic factor would be lost.

What do you think of this? Some missions are top secret, meaning that you only have a limited number of revives for allies and limited ammo. The reason for this is (according to the story) you do not want to draw too much attention from the enemy, keeping any traces of you being there at a all time low. Almost like a hard espionage mission which only occurs as often as a retaliatory strike.

I figure they could do this in a similar style to Gauntlet, since that was much more of an indoors and close-quarters environment with a bit of a puzzle aspect to it. There’s no way it’d be added to Helldivers, though, as support is all but cut off and it’d be a lot of work.

Yeah, I know, but its always good to share some opinion, specially in a place where dev can literally read your thoughts (ha ha).

I feel like I jumped in helldivers a little too late. I got the game in early 2016 and I’ve been playing ever since. Just hope the devs consider those threads when making a new game. Helldivers can be way bigger than it is right now.

fwiw, one of my suggestions in the stickied Steam suggestions thread was to have side missions inside a bug nest. The squad would all drop down a giant nest hole and battle bugs in underground caverns and cess pools and such.

If you recall Starcraft 20 years ago, they had these brief side missions where instead of being a base-building RTS, you just led a small group of space marines on side stuff. So I think my nest idea and the inside ship/black ops idea here could be that sort of brief detour type content, change of pace if you will.

Here is an idea for possible download,
The Elite Marksman Pack.
This pack includes the Perk: Low Detection. A Strategem: Heavy Anti-Tank Rifle ATR 30. An optics equipped primary suppressed weapon: AR 18-O, and a pattern camouflage for armour, cloak, and weapons.
Low Detection greatly reduces the ability of enemies to discover and target our Elite Marksman.
ATR 30 is a single shot 30mm lazer sight equipped rifle capable of successfully engaging heavily armoured targets. It would be great if this rifle has a muzzle brake, huge booming report, and smoke rising from the brake after the shot. It loads and fires just like the Constitution, with AP and Stun ammunition. What makes this weapon unique is that it is deployed only from the prone “cover” position. This is a reversal of HD protocol, where the cover command actually negates your ability to fire. In this, it’s somewhat similar to the jump pack, where the operation is unique.
The ATR 30 at base level, MK 1 includes AP Stun ammunition, effective camouflage, and bipod. MK 2, increases ammunition capacity at the cost of 3 research points. The MK 3 offers improved Anti-Tank ammunition, which explodes after penetrating, dealing significantly higher damage at the cost of 4 research points. Final upgrade, MK 3 also greatly improves “stability” via an upgraded chassis which has a positive effect on accuracy at all ranges.
The idea here is that it could require multiple shots at base level to neutralize heavily armoured enemies, and with improved ammunition and stability, the number of shots required is significantly reduced.
The primary weapon, AR 18-0, doesn’t alert patrols with report. It’s suppressed and burst fire, meaning it works similar to the Paragon. Like the ATR 30 it comes with a laser sight, AP ammunition, and camouflage. No bayonet option is included, because this is a stealth, not a melee weapon.
First upgrade is 2 research points for improved ammunition capacity, second at 3 research points improves stability with a better chassis and adds stun to all ammunition. If the laser is deemed too advantageous, it can be offered as a final upgrade, perhaps with unstoppable ammunition added for another 4 research points.
The armour, cape, and helmet are all pattern camouflage, low visibility items, and when used with the Low Detection Perk reduces enemy accuracy as well as detection.
This is necessary, since the prone shooting position makes the character extremely vulnerable to enemy attack. Hence the need as well for weapons to also avoid bright glowing yellows that attract attention.
This Marksman Pack is conceived as an alternative to the reliance on red strategems to engage titanic enemies. It would also add a different dimension into gameplay, where stealth becomes much more significant. Even at beginning levels, the prone position would encourage players to develop new and interesting styles of play.

Well, the HellPods could be fired from your ship into the side of the enemy ship. Call it an “injection of justice!” One cool mechanic would be that the hole in the wall created by the HellPod could suck nearby enemies and players out into space (instant death) until the enemy ship seals the hole. If the player has not exited the immediate area that gets sealed off, they are trapped and die moderately quickly from lack of air.

Another option is to seal the bulkheads. If the team is trapped inside the sealed area, they ALL die from lack of air. So once a reinforce happens and the HellPods puncture the ship’s hull, the team better be ready to run past the nearest bulkhead before it is sealed off.

Bad news is that the Bugs would presumably not have ships. For that I would recommend BlackjackGT’s idea of a bug’s nest.

Hey, the game devs would already have a pretty good map/appearance of the inside of an enemy ship.

The first part of the training mission is kinda laid out like the inside of a ship, and it looks a lot like a ship interior too.

Just make a whole map like that, with cold metal hallways connecting larger rooms.