Grammar Mistakes And One Misleading Interface Bit (with fixes!)

Hello Arrowhead,

You created a truly fantastic game and I thank you for the thousands of hours I have been indulging in it. However though, the devil’s in the detail, so I’m bringing both to you.
I found some grammar issues within the game’s Armoury and Encyclopedia (and a few cases of missing text for weapon attributes), plus one inaccuracy in the interface during gameplay. I’ll start with the latter.

Here’s a picture:

Notice the ammo indicators: each is made of an icon, which represents the current magazine in use, and the remaining ones expressed in numbers (e.g. ‘x4’). Together they read as:

[MAG_ICON] x n

which would equal n. However this doesn’t reflect the actual number of magazines the player is holding, which is instead:

[MAG_ICON] + n

In the picture’s specific case, the player with the Stalwart is not carrying 4 magazines but 5, one in use and 4 left. The ammo indicator, however, suggests a total of 4 by the first formula above.

This can be tested on any weapon, by comparing the actual number of magazines the player can use, with the number shown by the indicator.

On to the grammar mistakes. I found these:

From the battleship, go to ARMOURY > WEAPONS

P2 PEACEMAKER

• RANGE’ stat is missing
    (This is actually missing text, or an inconsistency issue. There are a few more instances listed below).

DBS-2 DOUBLE FREEDOM

• SAWED-OFF UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    Sawed of shotguns’ should be ‘Sawed-off shotguns’

SMG-45 DEFENDER and MP-98 KNIGHT

• MINI-STUN AMMUNITION UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    ‘releases it’s charge’ should be ‘releases its charge’

LAS-13 TRIDENT

• OVERHEATS’ property (in yellow text) is missing (all other laser weapons have it).

• LASER RATE OF FIRE UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    The title: ‘LASER RATE OF FIRE’ maybe should be ‘INCREASED RATE OF FIRE’?
    Also, the ‘FIRERATE’ stat does not show an increase once upgraded (there is no extra yellow portion of the bar).

LAS-16 SICKLE

• WEAPON DESCRIPTION
    then the normal’ should be ‘than the normal’

MG-105 STALWART

• WEAPON DESCRIPTION
    ‘Due to it’s lighter weight’ should be ‘Due to its lighter weight’

Then to ARMOURY > STRATAGEMS

REP-80

• MK3 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION (MK2 is fine)
    ‘chains it’s beam’ should be ‘chains its beam’
    ‘longer range then’ should be ‘longer range than

AD-334 GUARD DOG

• MK1, MK2, MK3 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    ‘carried on the Helldivers back’ should be ‘carried on the Helldiver’s back’

A/MG-II MINIGUN TURRET

• MK1 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    Call in’ should be ‘Calls in’
  • MK2 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    ‘Improved stabilizers allows’ should be ‘Improved stabilizers allow
    MK3 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    ‘upgraded motors allows’ should be ‘upgraded motors allow

A/RX-34 RAILCANNON TURRET

• UNSTOPPABLE’ property (in yellow text) is missing (the RX-1 has it).
  • MK3 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    ‘upgraded motors allows’ should be ‘upgraded motors allow

AIRDROPPED STUN MINES

‘airspace clearance allows’ should be ‘airspace clearance allow

STATIC FIELD CONDUCTORS

• MK2, MK3 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    ‘allows’ should be ‘allow’

HEAVY AIRSTRIKE

• ANTI-TANK’ property (yellow text) is missing.

STRAFING RUN

‘then’ should be ‘than’

HELLFIRE INCENDIARY BOMBS

‘materials allows’ should be ‘materials allow

ORBITAL LASER STRIKE

RAILCANNON STRIKE

• MK2, MK3 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION

MISSILE BARRAGE

• MK1, MK2, MK3 UPGRADE DESCRIPTION
    it’s destructive’ should be ‘its destructive’

NUX-223 HELLBOMB

Then from the Battleship, move to the ENCYCLOPEDIA and select:

TACTICAL MANUAL > RELOADING

• DESCRIPTION
    ‘comes’ should be ‘come’

And that’s it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Addendum: I’ve found two additional grammar issues.

• In GALACTIC CAMPAIGN select a SYSTEM and highlight a JUNGLE PLANET. The DESCRIPTION:
    ‘A moist atmosphere and heavy vegetation covers the surface’ should be ‘A moist atmosphere and heavy vegetation cover the surface’

• In the MISSION BRIEFING screen (when selecting a dropzone), after choosing a VOLCANIC PLANET:
    ‘Pools of lava and geological activity makes’ should be ‘Pools of lava and geological activity make

1 Like

Hey Dekemiri. Wow attention to detail I never noticed most of these!! Arrowhead I think you know who to check over Testament :wink:

The last two points I don’t think are necessarily errors however, is it a case of tense and speaker perspective?

With the ammo count I think it is showing your current magazine and how many times you can reload. I don’t think you can really look at it like a formula, empty mag would be 0 x n = 0.

1 Like

Thank you Dyzzy :slightly_smiling_face:
Disclaimer: I am not a native speaker, so I ‘would like to know more’ (couldn’t resist) myself.

On the ammo indicator: you’re right, the number indicates reloads. But as it sits next to a mag icon rather than a reload one (which would look like a mag with a ‘refresh’ arrow on?), I always thought it represented mags, not reloads. And, as we know, mags ≠ reloads.

You are also right on the case of an empty mag being 0 x n = 0, which negates the formula, which would also negate my point of it being readable as one. However, does an empty mag really = 0? Wouldn’t it equal 0 ammo (in the mag), but the mag still being 1, albeit empty, mag? (Ook, sorry about this… I know I’m being pedantic btw (Not incorrect though)).

Most importantly, and more seriously, I think the interface should be clearer: if I see ‘mag x 6’, it should be reasonable to assume I have 6 mags. Whenever that happens however, I have 7. I see it as a formula because it appears displayed as one. And yet, it doesn’t do what it says to me.

1 Like

I’m sure many native speakers missed what you didn’t! I’m no grammar expert so I’m really not sure lol.

It’s funny regarding the ammo you right the number of mags never changes, I was looking at it as if the mag was in parenthesis and had to be calculated as part of the formula (bullets remaining) x n rather than mag x n :smile:

I totally get your point about it being confusing though, I think I remember the same thought when I started playing

3 Likes

Addendum II: Alright, this has been addressed before, but for comprehensiveness’ sake…

In: ARMOURY > STRATAGEMS

M-25 RUMBLER

• ANTI-TANK’ property (yellow text) is missing
2 Likes