Have you considered adding/changing this in game...?

You know, whenever I log into these forums every couple of weeks I really enjoy reading all your suggestions.

I’ve mentioned this before, and I’ll do it again, but even if I don’t agree with all of your suggestions I can’t but commend you for the amount of detail and care you put into these.

I salute you. o7

3 Likes

Not sure if you’ve already considered this, but shouldn’t there be some kind of minimum Kills part of the equation too?
Maybe a calculated value from the expected number of enemy spawn per objective?
Or perhaps that’s too restrictive.

Otherwise to me it seems like running solo and shooting as infrequently as possible/not shooting anything is the optimal strategy here.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

It could be the case in lvl.5 PG, where enemy spawns are too scarce (it’s even possible to kill foes only with melee). It’s an additional reason why lvl.5 should be removed from PG. In lvl.9, 12 or 15, it’s impossible to shoot as infrequently as possible/not shooting anything, moreover if playing solo.

At first, I tried to include the “Kills” stats in Proficiency score, as XP bonus points (the higher the number of kills, the more XP bonus points)

But then, I thought it wouldn’t be in the spirit of the game, which is to kill scouts as quickly as possible in order to prevent alarms.

And a required minimum number of kills wouldn’t be fair in some situation:

Let’s imagine a very talented team, which kills all scouts during the whole mission, with a good accuracy, and therefore, preventing any alarms to be sounded.
It wouldn’t be fair to penalize this team because they didn’t kill enough enemies.

But once again, it’s very unlikely to not face enough enemies in lvl.9 to 15.
And in these difficulties, if team members (or solo player) try to shoot as infrequently as possible to preserve accuracy, there’s a high chance they pay the (iron) price for it: avoidable deaths, failed objectives, etc.

That’s why I tried to well balance each Proficiency criteria: a team is less penalized by a bad accuracy than by a lot of deaths, i.e. it’s more important to avoid deaths than to preserve accuracy (but a very bad accuracy is still a high penalty).
And above these two criteria, accidentals and missing helldivers in extraction are the highest penalties.

1 Like

Again awesome work and details! This is how Proving Grounds would be perfect basically. The disregard of deaths and amount of extracted divers has bothered from the beginning of Proving Grounds. Your implementation would be perfect update for the next Liberty Day (and maybe some new weapon and ministun how it was in the beginning of Helldivers :innocent: ).

1 Like

I think when enemy union chase us that is so fantastic.
let me imagine cyborg IFV and council meber are attacked helldivers.
It will be very funny time!

The Resupply Pack wearer can’t use it at anytime.

Annoying when:

• The wearer wants to refill the grenade slots, and has to empty intentionally a weapon to use the Resupply Pack.
  • When playing with a random loadout, if the player has only laser weapons but has a Resupply Pack to refill grenades, it is even more annoying: it requires to purposely overheat multiple times the laser weapon (Tanto, Sickle, etc.). :confused:

The Resupply Pack wearer should be allowed to use it at anytime by pressing and holding X button for 3 seconds (no prompt on screen).

Thanks for reading, and as always, feel free to comment.

1 Like

A few years late to the party and since the forum is the size of a book now, I don’t know if anyone ever asked this but have you ever thought about adding slots for things like sidearms or equipment?
When I say equipment I mean e backpack for example, or being able to choose from say:
All terrain boots/ shield pack/ jump pack etc. one could even go as far as adding separate equipment slots for each armor bit (Legs torso and head). It works and it doesn’t depending on how you look at it and it would definitely changes the Helldivers experience, but then again, that’s a huge change.

Instead let’s talk about the previously mentioned sidearm slot. It always bothered me that you have a primary slot and no “Secondary slot” or sidearm slot. Why are sidearms perks?
There are multiple sidearms or “Pistols” in the game but I only use the stock one because I always choose far more powerful or useful perks to make my life easier.
Most of the time it feels like I’m being punished for wanting to try out the other pistols, because now, I can’t choose “All terrain boots” or “Stratagem Priority” or other similar things. Same goes for the grenades…

Edit: I was also thinking about the “Firemode” idea presented on this forum, your answer was “There are too many controls for certain platforms such as vita” So the problem is then: A lack of buttons. I don’t know how vita works and this might sound naive but if you have 3 buttons for: Pistol, Primary and Heavy (1 2 and 3 on keyboard), what if, while the weapon is equipped, you tap that button again to change firemodes. (You have a pistol equipped which is “1”, you tap “1” again so now your pistol goes from burst fire to semi auto) That would mean you wouldn’t need any extra buttons, but you’d simply add more functionality to the ones that already exist.

1 Like

I’m going to answer the sidearms are perks question. The idea to add more sidearms came after the game’s release and at that time it was only the standard pistol so there was absolutely no reason to make it appear in the separate slot. The only way to add more pistols was to either remake the whole loadout options or simply put them as perks (the easiest way).

Also, that makes sense since Gunslinger or Singe are really powerful and there would be no reason to pick Peacemaker (which just decreases variety), additionally, some of the DLC sidearms are more powerful than primary weapons as well so pistols hidden behind a perk balance it out.

1 Like

Hello not sure if the devs read this stuff anymore but am a big fan of helldivers and am always looking forward to liberty day and what content we will get.

was just curious if you guys could consider a new supply stratagem that is a mini gun but its a 2 in 1 so when you pick it up it takes up the extra weapon slot and you will have a backpack full of ammo for it you wont ever have to reload because of this but due to the super high fire rate the ammo will deplete kinda fast if you just spray for long periods you can upgrade this gem to have armor piercing ammo and mabe more ammo for less time needed be4 a refill

another idea would be to have more primary lmg in the game so far we only have one true lmg and the other one is a startagem maybe this new lmg can have slower rate of fire but more control and damage then the one we have now idk but i like guns with larger mags for them

lastly i was curious if you guys could add a new perk called phoenix down which will make it so when you die it will auto revive you but this can only occur once every 200sec this is mainly to help with solo because you cant really be revived when you are alone

anyways these are some ideas i have that i hope can make it into the next liberty day any advice or feedback from the devs on this would be great thanks!!!

I’m all for MORE MINIGUNS since there isn’t much choice for when you want to feel like the Terminator, but I feel like it only comes in handy when you’re mowing down bugs…

:eyes:
Someone’s been on that Final Fantasy wave!

Yeah when playing solo you get just one replacement helldiver Auto-Reinforce when you start the mission, and you get an extra one every time you complete an objective. Even though it’s capped at 2 maximum, I’ve always thought this was fair for solo play.

Otherwise, when playing with others you can revive yourself (and everyone else) by timing the Reinforcement Beacon throw.

I feel like taking the skill out of revives isn’t for the best, and we already have a last-minute-saviour (or last-minute-killer) Perk: Displacement Field, which teleports you away from death once every 35 seconds (helldivers.gamepedia.com).

2 Likes

thanks for the feedback man and yeah i did take the name from final fantasy lol. anyways i just hope we get some more toys to play with this coming liberty day the new difficulty and enemies were nice but new geems and weapons is what i look forward to

2 Likes

Suggestion: include a Custom Mission Generator in the Proving Grounds

I don’t know about everyone else, but my gripe with the Proving Grounds mode from the 2019 Dive Harder update is that it is a Speed-Run mode with locked missions and modifiers.

The testing of that mode and all of it’s possible modifers and configurations was really, really fun because you were able to reroll the available Proving Grounds maps, objectives, conditions, and modifiers at any time (albeit in a limited fashion).

But having just one set of Proving Grounds missions to choose from for the duration of an entire Galactic Campaign is not very appealing to me, especially since I do not enjoy trying to master the same mission over and over again in order to compete against myself AND/OR other players.

Furthermore, the Proving Grounds mode seems like a perfect fit for a Custom Mission Generator!

So I hereby propose the idea of implementing a simple UI with a small selection of basic filters (limiting the choices to basic functionality and randomized settings insteads of full customization options) into the Proving Grounds game mode in order to generate custom missions for use with public, friends, and private lobby settings.

This Custom Mission Selector could exist as a fourth selectable map-option on the Proving Grounds view.

The UI to access the map customization options could either be:

• accessible from the Proving Grounds selection view by going one level deeper

or

• available after entering the Hellpod as part of the Mission Briefing Screen

My proposed Custom Mission Settings Menu would include the following options:

• Set Enemy Faction: Bugs / Cyborgs / Illuminates

• Set Difficulty: 3 / 6 / 9 / 12 / 15

• Set Mission Type: Single Objective Type / Mixed Objectives / Arena

• Set Modifiers: On (randomized) / Off (deactivated)

• Set Conditions: On (randomized) / Off (deactivated)

• Set Timer: On / Off

NOTES:
For Set Mission Type the setting Single Objective Type means multiple instances of the same, random objective type on the map (e.g. only Capture Area objectives are placed on the map), while Mixed Objective Types means that a randomized mix of various objectives like we are used to from regular missions are randomly scattered around the map
Arena is, of course, a Retaliatory Strike <3! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

At the very least this setting should allow for a binary choice between Mixed Objectives and Arena. :smiley:

Done!

No need for rewards, or galactic campaign influence, or anything else. The people who would likely play this mode are the same people who would otherwise abandon the game whenever the Galactic Campaign stagnates.

As much as I am thankful for the previous Liberty Day content drops and, of course, for the developers’ continued effort, work, and support for this game - including the nice and talented folks from GURU GAMES who worked on the Dive Harder update - I do feel like 2019’s addition of the Proving Grounds game mode was a wasted opportunity and a bit of a letdown for me.

I know that saying this may give off the impression that I am highly critical and ungrateful, but I also honestly believe that if the playerbase were given the option to ignore the Galactic Campaign and access ALL of the content of the game ALL of the time (by that I specifically mean the Enemy Factions) then that it would have a positive effect on the Galactic Campaign in general.

I don’t know why people are so afraid of players abandoning the Galactic Campaign and us losing Wars over and over again if players were able choose to play whatever they want all the time. Because this is what is happening right now anyway. And it happens because players abandon the game entirely for weeks, or months, or forever, out of frustration.

But if we kept the playerbase happy and engaged regardless of Galactic Campaign progress, and people didn’t leave the game, or spend their energy on trying to find or save the missions they want to actually play, then surely these same people would find it in them to help out with the war effort every now and then? Right?!

Maybe it is only me, but I am convinced that more Player Choice is better and that it would not dilute the core principle of the design philosophy of Arrowhead.

A game for everyone is a game for no-one.

But HELLDIVERS™ is already NOT a game for everyone, and more player choice will not turn it into that.

2 Likes

Proving ground is competition and there was no reward cape.sad

2 posts were split to a new topic: Gauntlet Revisited?

I think some changes along the lines you mentioned would be a good move. Having the option to play normal missions with these modifiers would be great! I think there are a lot of players that would take more variety over a new competitive mode.

PG missions are short and require a totally different play style than normal helldivers as a result of being a speed run. This style in itself is less fun than normal to me and after a few attempts was not really very fun but the competition was the fun part. Seeing new times get posted coming up with strategies with your team trying for the top time. The competition did inject some friction into the community, but that is down to individuals responses to competition with most seemingly not interested.

As for the access to the other races this has only really been a problem the last 5 wars and I think I know the cause.

TLDR: Normally wars are shorter and the final race is squished fast so we have less time with one race. Recent player base spike seems the mains reason for war difficulty/length increasing.

We had a regiment size spike from war 90 compared to the average of the previous 30 wars. Using wars 79-89 for comparison to the last 15 wars:

War 82 1.5X average regiment size (successful), 15 days
War 83 1X (successful), 12 days
War 84 0.75X (successful), 10 days
War 85 0.9X (successful), 13 days
War 86 1.3X (successful), 23 days
War 87 1X (successful), 13 days
War 88 1X (successful), 14 days
War 89 1X (successful), 13 days
War 90 2X (successful), 8 days
War 91 3X (successful), 38 days
War 92 4X (defeated, longest war ever), 57 days
War 93 1.5X (successful), 18 days
War 94 3X (defeated), 45 days
War 95 3X (defeated), 49 days
War 96 2X (defeated), 35 days

Historically wars have been about 2 weeks with a common range of 1-3 wks with some 4+. These recent long wars seem to be a combination of the galactic campaign responding to the player spike and perhaps other factors such as a change in community play style, I know there are less influence chasers than before. Add to this the counter attacks from the illuminates have been very fast at 2 hrs each sector, in a 24hr period we can go from attacking their home world to defending super earth! We have to crush them first hit! :smile:

1 Like

This is long thread… tl;dr but I did search for the word ‘ricochet’ before posting:

Anyways, I’m like seeing it in the game and it feels right at least in my mind… like a turret that has a rate of fire between grenade turret and mg that fires bullets that ricochet based on what they collide with, probably with a certain number of bounces… for some enemies they might should pass through, while others they bounce with damage, and still others bounce with no damage, probably based on armor numbers… and maybe a disposable or non-disposable gun that fires the same bullet.

I think it would add a lot to the already existing controlled chaos that this game engenders.

1 Like

I like that idea, but I think it would be carnage with FF…maybe that’s good?! :joy:

2 Likes

Could we get nerfs for the most used weapons? As this game has become too easy as the player base gets higher levels and better and still very imbalanced

To be clear, I absolutely love this game and appreciate the developers. I just think nerfs would be super easy to implement, make the game more interesting, make the weakest weapons more viable, and not harm the game for lower difficulties. Kill 8 birds with one stone

Some things that are never used I think could use a buff, like heavy armor… But I think it’s far more important to nerf the most favored items, even if just SLIGHTLY, like lift, bubble shield, stratagem priority, boots, static field!!!,devastator, rec ( there are so many options on how to nerf).

Although rep 80 isn’t used much, when it is it’s crazy op at mk2 and could use rework.

Rail cannon could use a buff,stun items, double freedom, arc thrower, rail cannon. M5 APC,

This would make the game more challenging and interesting at all levels, for all players. Please for the love of God just some slight nerfs to bring variety back into this game

Lmg car, Punisher, orbital, stun, arc thrower and many other guns could use easy to implement buffs too as they are never used because they are not viable and so hugely underpowered
Justice needs a huge nerf.

Cyborg enemy master needs a buff against mines.

I also feel that there isn’t a lot of variety in the “meta” weapons.
I wouldn’t call myself a particularly good player, but I don’t want to tryhard this game.
The effects of this are clearly shown in my go-to loadouts (links in my profile)
For context, I don’t go past Helldive.
Do my loadouts really matter though, as long as I am enjoying myself?

Graves said it best:

Do you feel like there is a meta loadout? What is it?
Does it change across difficulties? Across factions?
When you play online, do you see everyone using the same loadout?

You don’t see the Constitution in my loadouts, but not because it’s hugely underpowered.
It’s that it takes a lot of skill, and knowledge of game mechanics, to use effectively.

Maybe once in a while to spice things up I’ll pick out an “exotic” weapon and do a few missions with it, but like I said before, I enjoy having an easy time appropriate for my skill level.

In general my belief is that only higher level players who have exhausted their fun in the game will appreciate nerfs, but from my experience that’s either because they are trying to “guide” less experienced players to “have fun with the game” – which isn’t right at all – or because they want other players to “open their eyes” and see everything the game has to offer, but that still shouldn’t be the higher level players’ duty.
So I don’t agree that just nerfing will make the game more interesting at all levels for all players.

I feel like judging weapons by their solo performance isn’t really fair in Helldivers, since at its core, Helldivers is a team game. You can complete missions fairly easily as a strong, well-oiled, coordinated team, even using the Constitution! (like I said before it’s not a bad weapon, I use it as an example because a new player would struggle with it)

I do think that having weapons which make you a one-man-army is slightly problematic, but nerfing them would probably affect solo players too…

Only slightly related, but I am all for being able to remove or undo upgrades for equipment, which has been suggested before. I think it would allow for more handicaps, and that would indeed make things more challenging and interesting for higher level play.