Magicka, developement question

magicka

so awhile back i was in a discord server for magicka, and someone found this image (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/magicka/images/d/de/SS_4.png/revision/latest?cb=20110125184536)

and i was wondering why his arcane beam looked like that, is this from an old version? or is this one of the times that people managed to mod magicka (i had a buddy who did some mild visual mods to magicka, it was really annoying for him to do apparently.

Hmmm… doesn’t the beam always look like that just at the moment when you release it, before it focuses into a narrow beam?
I don’t remember. Maybe @emil.englund can help out here?

My Twitter – mostly about life at Arrowhead

My Instagram – pics with Arrowhead & viking escapades

http://magicka.wikia.com/wiki/Magicka_Screenshots these seem to be from early on because theres definitely some texture changes, such as on the orcs and the main warlock (the thing around him) as well as a few others.
Mystery semi solved

also does anyone know about why magicka keeps crashing (its not just me, everyone iv talked to has said the same) after the recent updates where they added different huds and new robes?

This, unfortunately nobody at Arrowhead can help with. It was 6 or 7 years ago we last did any development on Magicka, and Paradox have used their own studios to make changes after that.

But maybe someone in the community has figured something out. Or you could send Pdx a support ticket on their site.

My Twitter – mostly about life at Arrowhead

My Instagram – pics with Arrowhead & viking escapades

This is indeed an early screenshot from when we were experimenting with the beam functionality. Initially the beams would attach themselves to targets (kind of Harry Potter wand duel-style) and they had these fancy visual effects that you can see in the picture. I think we changed the visual effect primarily to work well at shorter ranges but I’m not 100% sure…

omg thats really cool