[news] Arrowhead hiring multiple positions for its "exciting next game"

studionews

You guys KILLED me with this non-game “announcement” that was of course not the announcement we fans have waited years for. :sob::grin:

*The first sentence made me think OF COURSE, they’ll announce the new game on the 10th anniversary of their FIRST game. But… nah. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :thinking:

I was speculating – half joking – ages ago that maybe the reason we won’t hear about Arrowhead’s Secret Project is that maybe it’s a launch title for the successor (whatever it’s to be called) to PlayStation 4. I mean, you can’t talk about a game for a system that doesn’t even exist yet, right?

So if that were the case, and it were for a new console launching maybe by 2021, then probably they couldn’t talk about the game until 2019 or 2020 at earliest.

Perhaps some day we’ll learn if my half-joke speculation was idiotic or predictive. :smiley:

Maan, none of those openings work for me. you guys should have an Open application section as well. Might help guys like me to send in their stuff .

The jobs listing was updated in June sometime, and I wasn’t paying attention. :grin:

Here’s the current listed jobs, which go more into nitty-gritty stuff (enemy designer and mission designer are newly listed I think):

• AI Programmer
  • Engine Programmer
  • Art Director
  • Enemy Designer
  • Mission Designer
  • Technical Artist
  • Visual Effects Artist
  • Tools Programmer

So the Enemy Designer job description is sort of neat to read:

This reminds me what I’ve often found lacking in the umpteen other twin-stick shooters I’ve tried on Steam, although it’s maybe understandable that most tiny dev teams or solo devs can’t really afford to do really interesting and diverse AI enemies – in most, everything simply swarms in a direct line at you. So I’m glad this is such a priority for the Secret Project. :sunglasses:

And while it’s no surprise given past Arrowhead games always emphasizing co-op, it’s also in the job description as a preference under the requirements:

At least a few years of game design experience, preferably design on co-op titles.

Also pretty fascinating is the AI Programmer listing:

We are now hiring a skilled AI Programmer to reinforce the team bringing our game worlds to life, through believable non-playable characters and wildlife. You’ll play a fundamental role in creating fun and engaging gameplay experiences.

## About the job

As part of our friendly AI team your primary focus will be creating, implementing and maintaining a robust core AI system to be utilized throughout the game. This includes developing systems for decision-making, movement, combat and interaction. You will work iteratively in collaboration with the Game Director and Designers to craft believable behaviors, reactions and natural-looking movement for all of our NPC types.

So this sounds like the game will have wildlife, and cool friendly NPCs that play alongside us. :grin: Maybe something akin to hire-able mercenaries in a Diablo game? Or perhaps … well I’ll keep my other guesses to myself. :slight_smile:

*Also, I think they mean “friendly AI” dev team. Not that the AI dev team is “friendly.” Although I assume they are that as well. :grin:

Also, I think they mean “friendly AI” dev team. Not that the AI dev team is “friendly.”

Or do we? :joy::joy::joy:

Ah, now want ads get to the nitty gritty, Technical Level Designer!

Some cryptic clues here – procedural generation among them…

About the job
We are looking for a technically oriented designer to join our Worlds team! As a technical level designer at Arrowhead, you will get to work with a broadly skilled feature team whose overarching goal is to create expansive and believable worlds through procedural generation. Your main focus as a technical level designer is to utilize scripting to design, implement and develop features of the world generation.

This technical level designer will design smaller pieces of worlds, which together creates a larger world generating system. This will require a technical ability to handle several moving pieces at once. You will have to coordinate design on a regular basis with the game direction, other feature teams, and your own team members.

Each team member at Arrowhead has an important influence on the game and is involved in the decision-making process. We offer a driven and creative environment where small groups work independently within cross-disciplinary feature teams

Your responsibilities
Be responsible for the world generation on our current AAA-project

Coordinate procedural generation of worlds from a design and technical perspective
Gather and implement feedback through iteration
Use scripting language to implement and develop complex world generating features
Build and design level and world components