Nice words for aspiring Game Devs

general

This was super helpful and informative compared to the major shrewd amount of information out there. While it has become easier than ever to start and make your own games, there is also almost double the information to boot with it regarding tools, advice, how and where to start saying one thing while another says something opposite or disheartening. Thank you for sharing this as someone planning to go to school to develop games and learn 3d modeling and programming to also do from home and maybe start a small company someday, this was genuinely good information.

Thanks. I spent two years uming and arring over whether to become a game dev. By the time id found enough good information and got my head around how to go about it (which was really hard to be honest) I had already set foot on a different career path. I wish you all the best!

As someone who is very new to the games industry I’d like to share some of what I think was important in my development.

Start making games. That is probably the most important thing if you want to get into the industry. Just make stuff. It might not become the greatest things in creation, god knows my games weren’t, but it teaches you tons of stuff and in the long run shows that you like making games and you’re not afraid to try. Personally, I find doing this very hard on my own. I’m bad at pushing myself to organize if only I have to gain from it. I’ve found that the best way for me to counteract that is to put myself in situations where there are others that rely on my work and there is a deadline. School is perfect for this, and that is probably one of the most valuable things that school gave me. Which brings me to my next point.

Find people that want to make games with you.This could be with people from school, online, or wherever. Working on your teamwork is essential, as game development is something done across varying professions and people. It doesn’t matter how good you are at what you do if nobody wants to work with you, or you can’t communicate your ideas to them. You should also learn as much as you can from the people you’re working with. Me and my friends used the term leech. Whenever you work with someone that knows more than you, try to leech as much information as you can out of them. We leached from each other, from our teachers, from wherever. This works the other way too. Share your information. Be helpful whenever you can, it will reinforce your own understanding and you’ll make great friends in the process. Don’t be afraid to ask for help too. I say this, but I can find it real scary. From what I’ve found though, people within the industry are very happy to help you if you only ask. It’s a really small industry so try to befriend the people within it.

I hope I didn’t ramble too much. Essentially what I’m saying is: try hard, be nice, ask for help, talk to people. You’ll get there.

Thanks wop4 :smiley: <3 Ive recently been reading Gamatsura articles regularly mainly design stuff. The Frozen Synapse (mode7) one was pretty good i thought. I work in libraries so maybe i will pick up a Coding Book for Dummies when im in tomorrow wouldnt hurt to get my head around it. Im getting on a bit though.

Take aways I got from the mode7 article was:
*Take care of yourself
and
*Try not to follow trends unless its your own.

Found the article in question: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/PaulKilduffTaylor/20180824/325218/The_10_Secrets_to_Indie_Game_Success_and_Why_They_Do_Not_Exist.php