Another concept bouncing around my brain is inspired by Arrowhead’s hiring for “friendly AI” devs for the secret new game. Also by an ability in the Star Trek Online MMORPG called “Away Team.” This let you call in a pair of phaser-equipped Red Shirt security guards to fight alongside you for a limited period of time. Really cool to see, but they wouldn’t take over the game per se.
So one idea that’s more a stratagem…
Insurgent Reinforcements Stratagem
- This air drops in a beacon which contacts the Super Earth Insurgents Underground Network for reinforcements. Maybe you hear a string of morse code beeps to indicate this.
- Four (or six, or some other number, we’d figure it out in testing ) ragged, friendly insurgent troops then emerge quickly from nearby storefronts or building entrances near the Helldivers forces.
- For game balance sake, the reinforcements aren’t heavily armed – so they carry a random mix of things like rudimentary pistols, rifles, shotguns and SMGs.
- They do decent damage together, but aren’t heavily armored. I wouldn’t want 'em to take over the game It’s more like you’d be able to call in a “cannon fodder” type friendly AI squad to help out in a jam for a little bit. And this would help get across the concept that the Helldivers remnants are working in conjunction with the Super Earth civilians to regain control from the space alien factions.
- I’ve toyed with the idea that they would either be temporary – perhaps time based (30 secs, 60 secs etc.) or maybe they just run low on ammo – then they run back into nearby buildings to protect the existence of the insurgent network (so they don’t want to be taken prisoner). I think if it was contingent on the reinforcements’ health dropping below a certain level, then if you did well, you might drag the reinforcements around forever.