[UPDATE] Online connection on PS3 and Vita

connectivity

We’ve seen some reports of players who are unable to connect online when using their PS3 or Vitas.

We are currently looking into this and are currently speaking to Sony to see how we can resolve this issue.

It would be good if we could have a few more details, such as:

• Your ISP
  • Your NAT Type
  • When you noticed this problem started

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Hopefully we can solve this soon.

Update: Some players have reported that their issues have now been fixed. Can you let me know if this is not the case for you?

From testing I have been doing if the connection can pass portquiz for port 3479 then Helldivers will work online even on PS3 and PS-Vita.

http://portquiz.net:3479/

Using either my work AT&T Hotspot or my Verizon Smartphone as Hotspot and 3479 is not blocked so Helldivers works online. If I switch my connection to my AT&T U-Verse connection, I am not able to use portquiz.net to 3479 successfully (connection times out). In this scenario Helldivers will also not work.

I tested my PC & PS4 and verified that these also cannot get to 3479 using my AT&T U-Verse connection, but the PS4 / Steam version of Helldivers are able to play online without issue so must be using something other than 3479 to connect to Helldivers online.

Looking into port 3479 & AT&T, apparently this was AT&T’s chosen port for providing Remote Assistance. Basically a backdoor they would leave open but also something games like Call of Duty would use. Plenty of older posts can be found with people either complaining or inquiring about the issue.

Seems AT&T continue to use 3479 for their remote assistance, but now (more recently) changed things so they don’t leave it open and that is why Helldivers online stopped working for PS3 and PS-Vita.

If looking at registered ports on Wikipedia

I can see that PlayStation Network unofficially has 3479 and 3480 registered.

So I test 3480 from my AT&T U-Verse network and it is not blocked
http://portquiz.net:3480/

Maybe best solution to this problem is for a patch for Helldivers on PS3 and PS-Vita to stop using 3479 and instead use 3480. Maybe it is some patch that PS3 and PS-Vita firmware need so they don’t try to use Playstation Network anything on 3479 even though they have unofficially registered its use.

Good detective work. Not sure about your suggestions yet - there may be specific reasons for specific ports which is why we can’t just change immediately, but at least it is an option. We are talking with Sony QA now and seeing what the options are :slight_smile:

Please share what you learn. I think being able to be host for SharePlay also has similar issue for AT&T home ISP users.

Looking into why I can’t host SharePlay, I found some additional details regarding what PSN is using.

Basically they all use

• UDP: 3478, 3479

But when it comes to TCP, they each have their own list with some shared

• PS4: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
  • PS3: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080
  • PS-Vita: 80, 443, 465, 993, 3478, 3479, 3480, 5223, 8080

There are some other ports also being used, like PlayStation Now uses UDP Port 2053 and PS3 Remote Play uses TCP Port 9293 and 3rd party games could be using entirely different set of ports for their own purposes.

In terms of testing which of the TCP ports my ISP is blocking via portquiz, it is just 3479 that is being blocked. Some of the browsers don’t like using 465 and 993 so more difficult to test / verify for those but I don’t think they are being blocked by my AT&T ISP like 3479.

I’ve seen a report of a player saying that he is now able to connect online again. I wonder if this is for all users?

I can confirm the following for US Region using AT&T U-Verse network where PS3 and PS-Vita were previously not working

• After applying System Update 3.67 for PS-Vita, it is now able to connect online for Helldivers.
  • After applying System Update 4.82 for PS3, it is now able to connect online for Helldivers.

Note: The System Update may be coincidental because I also tested whether AT&T is still blocking 3479 via portquiz and it is now working (i.e. no longer blocked / timing out).